domingo, 18 de abril de 2010
The National School of Glass in Orrefors
THE NATIONAL SCHOOL OF GLASS - A SHORT HISTORY
For more than a century, glass has been produced in the Nybro region.
Up until the 1950's young future glass workers were trained by the masters during regular production.
They were allowed to practise, fail and practise again and finally succeed.
Around 1960 Orrefors glassworks started an unofficial glass education in corporation with Nybro Vocational school.
The glass related, practical parts were taught in the factory by special personnel and the theoretical subjects were
taught one day a week at Nybro Vocational school.
In 1969, the municipality of Nybro took over all responsibility for the school of glass.
New curricula were worked out by the teachers in order to adapt the education to modern conditions.
Until 1979, the school of glass was housed in the buildings of Orrefors glassworks.
In the autumn of 1979, the municipality of Nybro inaugurated their new architect designed premises of the National School of Glass.