lunes, 2 de marzo de 2009

Fran Staniland








Fran Staniland
: "I am a glass blower/designer and am currently running my own business having achieved an MA in Glass in 2007 and a BA in Glass and Ceramics in 2006 at the University of Sunderland.

My work is strongly influenced by my experiences and the freeblown sculptural vessels in my Ice Series have been inspired by the beautiful blues and whites I saw on the Columbian Icefields in Canada. My work uses thick glass which is cut and highly polished to highlight the refraction and reflection within each piece. Each vessel is very tactile and the clarity of the glass constantly reacts with the light.

I am constantly excited by the possibilities of glass. The uncertainty of the medium is stimulating with the pliable nature of the hot glass contrasting so much with the precise form of the cold glass. Glass is pure and for me captures moods which are held in layers. I create freeblown sculptural vessels. I add crisp cuts to emphasise contrasts and then allow the light to play over each piece for individuals to find their own inspiration from within."

No hay comentarios: